There are several ways to experience the Far South Film Festival:
- Come to the In-Person Festival in Merimbula NSW on the weekend of 19-21 August 2022
- Watch our Online Festival from home between 20 and 31 August 2022
The full program for the in-person festival weekend can be found here.
A list of the films to be screened at both the in-person and online festivals can be found here.
How do I buy tickets?
Passes and film rental pre-sales for the online festival go on sale on 1 August 2022
Terms & Conditions
All pass and ticket sales are managed by Far South Film Inc. Passes and Tickets are non-refundable unless an event is cancelled by the organiser. In the event that a ticketholder is unable, due government regulations, to attend an in-person event due to COVID-19 isolation requirements, a credit will be offered to view the event via our online festival instead. Tickets may be transferred to friend or family member. Far South Film is under no obligation to honour tickets that have been scalped or otherwise re-sold via 3rd party websites such as social media. Our ticketing platforms are TryBooking (in-person) and Shift72 (online).
Your Visit to Merimbula
Bar Beach, Merimbula – a favourite spot to swim, surf or make a film! Photo credit: Lis Shelley
Far South Film runs workshops in the months leading up to each Festival – keep an eye out on the Far South Film website.
Festival events will be held in Merimbula at:
- The Picture Show Man Cinema 80 Main St opposite Woolworths in Merimbula. Accessible parking area entrance on Merimbula Drive. Unisex accessible toilet available. One Accessible row for wheelchair users and carers – please include your needs in the message field when you book online so we can allocate these seats or call 6495 7435.
- The Twyford cnr Market & Beach Streets. Closest parking in Beach St or Alice St carparks. Accessible parking in Beach St carpark and accessible entrance to Hall via the Beach St Foyer. Unisex accessible toilet available. Flexible seating to accommodate wheelchair users. Please note that – due to adjacent construction work – the footpath in Beach St may be partially fenced off during the festival dates. We recommend you cross at the Market St corner or, if coming from Alice St, use the Merimbula Plaza Arcade to avoid the fenced off path.
Where can I stay/eat?
Merimbula is an amazing holiday destination with a wide range of accommodation, eateries and activities waiting for you. Plus, the whale watching season is on!
The following accommodation providers are offering festival-goers discounts over the festival weekend of 19-21 August:
Albacore Apartments Merimbula are offering a 10% discount on a 2 night stay, or a 15% discount on a 3 night stay (or longer) on their 1 bedroom and 2 bedroom apartments during August. To book these discounted rates, contact their reception directly during business hours on 02 6495 3187
Check out Merimbula Tourism for more accommodation, food and activity ideas…
How do I get there?
- Merimbula is halfway between Sydney and Melbourne just off the A1 Princes Highway, and just under 3 hours drive from Canberra via Cooma/Bemboka/Candelo/Wolumla.
- Rex Airlines and QANTAS fly into Merimbula Airport from Sydney and Melbourne. The flight takes about 1 hour 10 minutes.
- There are also VLine and TrainLink trains+coaches that travel to Merimbula from Melbourne, Sydney and Canberra.
What about COVID?
- We monitor NSW Health for the latest advice to keep everyone safe. Check the COVID requirements closer to the event.
- As at 19 July 2022, you must not enter any of our venues if you have COVID symptoms or are required to isolate due to a positive test or being a close contact of someone with a positive test.
- You are not required to be fully vaccinated or carry vaccination evidence but it is strongly recommended
- Face masks are not required but are strongly recommended
- COVID-19 Safe Check-in is not required
- In the event that a physical in-person festival cannot go ahead, you will be offered an online festival pass to watch from your home and a refund of the price difference (if applicable), or a full refund of your in-person ticket if you are unable to view the festival online. Please note that ticket processing fees may not be refundable from TryBooking.
The Festival includes Q&A Panels with guest film makers. Stay tuned for announcements about our panel themes and guests! The in-person events will be recorded and be available to view on our online festival.
- Award winners selected by our judging panel will be announced on the afternoon of the first Sunday of the festival – 21 August 2022 at our in-person Awards Ceremony.
- Winners will be announced on our website and our social media as soon as the ceremony is over and a recording of the session will be uploaded to our online festival.
- Winners will be contacted individually to arrange their prize transfer.
People’s Choice Award
- Once you’ve registered your email address via our online booking system and had a chance to watch the films, we’ll email you a survey and invite you to vote for your favourite two films. Your vote needs to reach us by AEST midnight on 31 August 2022.
- The People’s Choice Award will be announced on 1 September via our website and social media.
Thank you to our partners and sponsors