See you in Merimbula in 2022!
Bar Beach, Merimbula – a favourite spot for a swim, surf or a coffee for locals and filmmakers alike! Photo credit: Lis Shelley
Far South Film runs workshops in the months leading up to the Festival – keep an eye out on the Far South Film website.
How do I buy tickets?
Tickets for the in-person festival will go on sale in June 2022 and for the online festival in July 2022. The link will be posted under our TICKETS page.
TBA for 2022 but they will be in Merimbula.
Where can I stay/eat?
Check out the local Merimbula Tourism site for ideas…
Merimbula is an amazing holiday destination with a wide range of accommodation and eateries waiting for you. Plus, the whale watching season begins in August.
How do I get there?
- Merimbula is halfway between Sydney and Melbourne just off the A1 Princes Highway, and just under 3 hours drive from Canberra via Cooma/Bemboka/Candelo.
- Rex Airlines and QANTAS fly into Merimbula Airport from Sydney and Melbourne. The flight takes about 1 hour 10 minutes.
- There are also VLine and TrainLink trains+coaches that travel to Merimbula from Melbourne, Sydney and Canberra.
What about COVID?
- We monitor NSW Health for the latest advice to keep everyone safe. Check the COVID requirements closer to the event.
- In the event that a physical in-person festival cannot go ahead, you will be offered the choice of a credit to view the festival online, or a refund of your in-person ticket.
Online Festival FAQ
How do I view films online?
- You’ll be able to pre-order and view films online thanks to our online festival platform. A link will be provided here in July.
- You can then create an account online, and pre-purchase Film Bundles or individual films (Bundles offer better value).
- There will be a watch window in which you can watch your selected films. The watch window ends at midnight on 31 August.
Can I vote for my favourite film?
- You sure can! Once you’ve registered your email address via our online booking system and had a chance to watch the films, we’ll email you a survey where you can vote for your favourite two films. The People’s Choice Award will be announced on 1 September.
Can I view the Q&As and Awards Ceremony online?
- Yes! We’ll be live streaming and/or recording these events. If you’ve purchased a ticket for the event, you’ll be emailed a Zoom link to follow on the day, otherwise you can rent the recording from your online festival account (note: there will be a delay of a few hours between the live event and the recording being available online). We’ll also announce winners after the awards ceremony on our Facebook page.
I’m having trouble viewing the films online
- Online films are geoblocked for viewing within Australia only. If you’re having problems, it may be because you are using a VPN or accessing the Internet via an overseas provider.
- Films are streamed at HD 1080p by default and will automatically adapt to a lower resolution depending on your bandwidth. If the film is not playing smoothly however, try lowering the resolution of the video stream by changing to a lower number setting (eg 720p).
- Avoid watching in prime time (5-7pm) when Internet speeds tend to be slower in regional areas.
- Check what other devices might be using high amounts of bandwidth in your household (someone online gaming, or watching other videos online, or downloading large files, for example)
- Older computers/devices/TVs/browsers may not be compatible with the streaming platform. Check the Help page on the Online Festival platform for more details on system requirements, compatability of browsers, or check the supported system requirements here. Try using a different browser that is supported if you are still having browser issues.
- If you’re having streaming issues, follow the steps in this article.
- If you’re having Chromecast issues, read this article.
- The Festival includes Q&A Panels with guest film makers. Stay tuned for announcements!
- Awards will be announced on the first Sunday of the festival.
- Award winners will be announced on our website and on social media as soon as the ceremony is over.
- Like our Facebook page to see filmmaker profiles and receive news about the festival.
- Film makers will be contacted individually after the awards if they have won an award to arrange transfer.
- Ticketholders are invited to vote for The People’s Choice Award via an emailed link. The winner of this award is announced on 1 September via our website and Social Media.
Thank you to our sponsors