Festival Weekend 20 – 22 August 2021
Bar Beach, Merimbula – a favourite spot for a swim, surf or a coffee for locals and filmmakers alike! Photo credit: Lis Shelley
In 2021 our festival will be a hybrid physical-plus-online festival, with film screenings, Q&As and awards happening in the beautiful Sapphire Coast town of Merimbula NSW and online on our streaming platform.
There will also be workshops in the months leading up to the Festival – keep an eye out for Far South Film workshops.
How do I buy tickets?
Tickets will be available for purchase online from this website from July. Remaining tickets (if any) will be available at the festival venue on the day, but we strongly recommend you book online to avoid disappointment.
To be notified of ticket sales opening, please subscribe to our enews.
The festival will open with a launch party on Friday night 20 August 2021 – venue to be announced.
Screenings will be held on Saturday 21 and Sunday 22 August 2021 at The Picture Show Man Cinema at 80 Main Street in Merimbula. Screenings will be available online via video-on-demand tickets for people unable to attend the festival in person.
Q&As with filmmakers will be held on Saturday and Sunday.
The Awards ceremony will be held late Sunday afternoon.
A full program will be available closer to the festival.
Where can I stay/eat?
Merimbula is an amazing holiday destination with a wide range of accommodation waiting for you. Plus, the whale watching season begins in August!
Check out the Merimbula Tourism site for accommodation, places to eat and other fun activities while you’re here. Even though August is traditionally not as busy as other seasons, we recommend you book ahead to avoid disappointment – and please let them know you are coming to our film festival!
How do I get there?
- Merimbula is halfway between Sydney and Melbourne just off the A1 Princes Highway, and just under 3 hours drive from Canberra via Cooma/Bemboka/Candelo.
- Rex Airlines and QANTAS fly into Merimbula Airport from Sydney and Melbourne. The flight takes about 1 hour 10 minutes.
- There are also VLine and TrainLink trains+coaches that travel to Merimbula from Melbourne, Sydney and Canberra.
What about COVID?
- Our venues and organisation have registered COVID-Safe plans in place and we monitor NSW Health for the latest advice to keep everyone safe.
Currently (as at 11 June 2021) our venues may operate at 100% capacity.
You will be required to sanitise on entry and check-in with the Service NSW app, which you can download for free below:
- We’ll let ticketholders know about any changes to restrictions as they occur. If there is a shutdown, border closure or travel restrictions that affect your ability to travel or our ability to have a physical festival, you’ll be able to change your physical festival ticket to an online ticket and watch our festival online from wherever you are 🙂
Online Festival FAQ
How do I view films online?
- Once you’ve bought an online pass or an online ticket, in the week before the festival, you’ll receive an email with a link to our online streaming platform. We’ll send you a reminder when the festival opens for viewing.
How do I view the Award Ceremony online?
- We’re finalising the platform for that and we’ll let you know on this web page closer to the festival.
Can I vote for my favourite film?
- You sure can. We’ll let you know how to vote for the People’s Choice Award closer to the festival.
I’m having trouble viewing the films online
- Online films are geoblocked for viewing within Australia only. If you’re having problems, it may be because you are using a VPN or accessing the Internet via an overseas provider.
- If the film is not playing smoothly, try changing the resolution of the video stream by clicking the … symbol in the watch window and change to a lower setting.
- Avoid watching in prime time (5-7pm) when Internet speeds tend to be slower in regional areas.
- Check what other devices might be using high amounts of bandwidth in your household (online gaming or video downloads for example!)
- Stay tuned for announcements about our special guest filmmaker Q&A sessions over the Festival weekend!
- Awards will be announced on Sunday 22 August 2021 at our festival venue and streamed online.
- Awards will be published on our website and social media as soon as the ceremony is over.
- Like our Facebook page to see filmmaker profiles and news about the festival.
Thank you to our sponsors